I have finished the mural at the car wash. It was quite an experience. I did enjoy the physical nature of the whole process. And it was fairly cold a lot of days by the time the scaffolding was up. The contract had required the company hiring me to have the scaffolding put up for me. My husband was a huge help. I hadn't realized that the rented platforms had to be moved around from section to section. He did that. And he also refused to let me be there alone since I was so high up. He was afraid I'd back up to look and step off the platform. Gradually, he realized that I was okay.
It was the heavily pitted concrete block which made up the wall that was the challenge. I ended up using rollers with brush work to smooth edges. And after the grid was set up with contractor's pigment line I did the outline in a midtone gray. Then working on the stars section took quite a while. My husband actually did a lot of the stripes for me as I told him which section was what color while I carefully painted the white stars. Anyway, all of the work painting it went well. It took about six weeks of selected decent weather days (45+ degrees C. and no wind or rain).
I framed the painting I had made of the mural at the beginning for the company at their request after the mural was done.
There is actually soooo much more to this project with all of the paint purchasing, color mixing ( 25+ containers of shades of various colors established by ratio), materials to work with. I am not detailing all of that process here.
My prayer is that the mural will depict the feeling of people in our country working together and getting along. The faces of the first responders will be showing diversity racially. (Diverse ethnicity to be understood.)
Leave a Reply.